Last meeting notes (FONTS)

Charles Rishel chaz03 at localnet.com
Sat Aug 25 09:17:46 EDT 2001

Hey Pete,

I also run coyote Linux.. running it on what used to be my P166, which has
been scaled back to a P133.  I have 64MB of RAM in it (donated the other
un-necessary 64MB to a friend who needed it) and it runs awesome.  It is
extremely stable, and not hard to configure.

After install, I made sure to move my ftp and telnet ports to non-well
known ports.. at first I left ftp on 21, but was getting a lot of hits [all
refused of course :-) ] and so I figured to keep a low profile, I would
move them, haven't been hit since :-)).  I am not running a web server yet
as I haven't had time to work on a suitable index page, but my web server
is available to my internal boxes.

At any rate, I have found that it (CoyoteLinux) normally runs on about 10MB
of ram, talk about a small footprint!! I would be willing to email you my
configs if you would like, I didn't setup anything extravagant, just what I
needed at the time.

It is extremely nice to be able to have my lan online 24/7 and telnet into
my box from work.  Gonna look into installing SSH onto my fileserver soon
so that I can sleep even BETTER at night, knowing that I am quite well
protected.

Oh, as a side note, since Adelphia is my cable inet provider, and they
prohibit running servers, I find it QUITE convenient to have my open ports
off of the well known ports, that way if they scan for web servers and
such, I get past their probes, as they only probe the well-known ports :-)).

BTW.. anyone interested in embedded linux should check out axis.com they
have some AWESOME cards available.. **drool**

Hopefully I will be able to make a meeting one of these months, but my work
schedule is whacked..working graveyard with Mon & Tues evenings off.. :-((

Will also be working on installing/setting up MySQL on a box to work on a
database project at work, anyone with any tips/tricks/hints I would be MORE
than happy to talk to ya..

Gotta love the versatility of Linux.

Chaz®