attn hotmail users

JJ Neff jjneff at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 7 00:49:52 EDT 2001

To be fair you must read the statement without editing the content :-)
(SEE NOTES BELOW)

 ***********************************
> By posting messages, uploading files, inputting data, submitting any
> feedback or suggestions, or engaging in any other form of communication
> with or through the Passport Web Site,
***************************************
The above is a fabrication the statement actually reads:

"By submitting any feedback or suggestions to Microsoft concerning the Passport
Web Site or the Passport Service,"

and the rest follows==>

>you warrant and represent that
> you own or otherwise control the rights necessary to do so and you are
> granting Microsoft and its affiliated companies permission to:
>
> 1.Use, modify, copy, distribute, transmit, publicly display, publicly
> perform, reproduce, publish, sublicense, create derivative works from,
> transfer, or sell any such communication.
>
> 2.Sublicense to third parties the unrestricted right to exercise any of
> the foregoing rights granted with respect to the communication.
>
> 3.Publish your name in connection with any such communication.
>
> The foregoing grants shall include the right to exploit any proprietary
> rights in such communication,  including but not limited to rights under
> copyright, trademark, service mark or patent laws under any relevant
> jurisdiction. No compensation will be paid with respect to Microsoft's
> use of the materials contained within such communication. Microsoft is
> under no obligation to post or use any materials you may provide and may
> remove such materials at any time in Microsoft's sole discretion.

NOTICE it is clearly for FEEDBACK YOU send THEM
also what follows is what the paragraph above does not allow them to do !

"This section is inapplicable to any personally identifiable information that
you provide in connection with your registration for the Passport Service(s). "

"This section also is inapplicable to any documents, information, or other data
that you upload, transmit or otherwise submit to or through any
Passport-Enabled Properties."
 SO only FEEDBACK and SUGGESTIONS you send them can be used not data you
transmit over their service...

While NO LOVER of M$ and their policies/praxtices in general I can't allow a
misrepresentation to continue unchecked.  THis is how urban legends start! :-)

John J. Neff