Corel LINUX OS

Dennis J. Eberl dje at pcom.net
Fri Apr 7 23:50:35 EDT 2000

Has anyone else installed Corel LINUX OS from the diskettes we gave out? I had a
heck of a time installing the full version on one of my machines (I had no luck
at all trying to install the "Open Distribution" version that was handed out at
the last meeting). Ron installed the "Open Distribution" version on one of his
machines without trouble, but it didn't walk him through modem configuration and
didn't find his sound card. We finally found that ppp_config is what you need to
run to get pon/poff working (Debbie's way of bringing up/down a ppp dial-up
connection to an ISP). We got sound running after we did a

...$ inetd sb.o<Return>

Unfortunately, we forgot to put that fix into a config file . . . SO HELLO, RON,
YOU WILL NOT HAVE SOUND WHEN YOU REBOOT . . . RON? HELLO? RON . . . ?

In all, to me, Corel LINUX has proven to be a royal pain in the ASCII, not the
magic easy to install, user friendly package I had heard it to be. Is anyone
else having better luck? Frankly, I'd much rather run straight Debian and KDE. I
can't say I'm thrilled about Corel's modifications to KDE (especially their
ridiculous pager) and their adding of another layer of obscurity between me and
Debian, which is a really likable distribution (even though, being Blinky's
keeper, I am a lunatic RedHat fan).

Any feedback regarding anyone else's experience with Corel LINUX would be
welcome. I need to get some distance and more experience with the product before
I write a review, which I am supposed to do in exchange for Corel's "gifts" to
our LUG. Is this the usual practice by other distributors?

Dennis