NFLUG Mailing List Issues

Dennis J. Eberl dje at pcom.net
Sun Apr 2 15:41:24 EDT 2000

James Simmons wrote:

> > I just don't want to end up with
> > a situation where the membership list, which I keep, and the mailing
> > list, which majordomo keeps, get out of sync.
>
> Thats the problem. The memebership list and the maling list should be
> interwined and automated on the same machine. This way no one has to be
> bothered to be add someone to the mailing list. All I'm saying is have a
> web front end to majordomo. They still are joining with majordomo.

That would be great. I am not insisting on two lists. If you know how to do
what you propose, please bring it up at the meeting and talk to Darin
about it.

Incidentally, the e-mail I sent to the twenty or so people left off the list
has produced to replies so far. I have a kind of form letter reply telling
them how to get on the list, and am recording their submission in my
list.

> > Oh, yeah. You had suggested people post stuff normally directed to a
> > web master directly to the list, because you bought a bus and are driving
> > around looking for me. Huh?
>
> Not the web master. I'm saying use a email alias like contact at nflug.org
> which gets sent to one person or a group of people. So in 2236 AD that
> address will still be around but someone else will be the contact for
> NFLUg then.

Fine. Talk to Darin. DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. Then tell me the aliased
address and I will be happy to put it wherever you want it on our pages.

> > Oh, you want a Contacts page. Fine. You've got it -- IF YOU REMIND
> > ME since it's late and we get some CONSENSUS on what belongs there.
>
> Almost. It would be thing to see "If you have question contact
> contact at nflug.org"

Sure. I would put it in the footer of every page.

> > > Well I have discovered that they are really slow at changing things.
> >
> > Who are they? What things?
>
> linux.org still has the old BLUG site link up when I told them to remove
> already.
>
> "Look it's a text editor, no it's a OS, no it's Emacs"
> James Simmons                                           ____/|
> fbdev/gfx developer                                     \ o.O|
> http://www.linux-fbdev.org                               =(_)=
> http://linuxgfx.sourceforge.net                            U

Yes, I got some hairbrained query about how there were two BLUG to
which I replied the older site was not active and asked them to ad the
new BLUG. I guess we got a compromise, probably because the old
BLUG site was still floating through cyberspace.

I just e-mailed them at last asking them to delete the two BLUGs
and add NFLUG. I assured them Sam's UBLUG was very much
alive and should not be touched . . .

Judging from linux.org's past performance, they will probably delete
the newer BLUG leaving Musone's and add UBLUG twice.

Incidentally I added some NYS and Ontario sites to our links page.

Dennis