[nflug] Meetings - A Brief History of NFLUG and its Future

SilverBear silverbear1 at sblinux.org
Tue Nov 25 18:54:24 EST 2008

Hi, all.

As an extremely peripheral member living a bit south of Fredonia, I don't want to imply that my own concerns are going to necessarily mesh with most other NFLUG members' concerns.  I've got zero forml computer sci education, and just pick up & share knowledge on the fly, as needs must.  But, for the group,  as food for thought:
1] Thanks Mark! Excellent post to the list that got this ball rolling.
2] Thanks Brian! You summed up so much of what I was already thinking, I can keep this post brief.
3] Principle: United is good. Let us join forces into one org. So long as we keep in mind:
4] Principle: We are only as strong as our weakest link.
OK, that's overstating it. But how about: "Newbs are our future" --can we agree that the existence of an Enterprise-oriented set of WNYLUG members doesn't mean that we don't have meetings that are 100% of the time 500 meters over the heads of  "Desktop Linux dual-boot with my safety-blanket XP" kind of members?  I don't see a problem, after reading what Brian had to say. Since I'm mostly involved in helping newbs, that's got meaning for me.
5] Kewl & easy-to-access meeting site! I've never been there, but I did the map thing, and I like it. THE AIRPORT DISTRICT!
6] Back to the Enterprise thing. . .  This makes Linux relevant _to the economy,_ not just to "hobby users."  Why segregate that into a separate LUG, when it can be _the professional wing_ of the whole Linux-using community?  I see it as a spectrum of interests and competencies that can only be cumulative . . . is "synergy" too much of a management buzz-word? IMHO: it will all work together, if the intention is there.

I have to say, I am very impressed by the energy, the ideas, and the new-found commitment this regional LUG fusion will bring.

John Boice
AKA "SilverBear
MEPIScommunity.org -- project manager
SBLinux.org -- webmaster
Mepis Linux User's Manual Project html/css designer
Mepis Torrent Team project co-ordinator
mod @ mepislovers.org, LinuxTracker.org