[nflug] Meetings - A Brief History of NFLUG and its Future

Brian Powell bpowell01 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 12:15:55 EST 2008

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 11:46 AM, Christopher Hawkins
<chawkins at bplinux.com> wrote:
> I think more enterprise focus would be great. The more we learn from each other, the more value the group has... Personally I get no value add from an "installfest" type meeting so I have avoided LUG meetings as a participant, though I have done a couple elsewhere as an instructor. But if there were going to be presentations where I would learn new stuff, I would start attending meetings and get involved.
>
> I don't think that's mutually exclusive with having a "newbie friendly" group... And I agree that splintering into two groups would be probably be bad.
>
> Chris
>
> ----- "Jesse Jarzynka" <jesse at jessejoe.com> wrote:
>
>> I think it's great to cover enterprise topics, but I think a name like
>>
>> that would deter membership. It's important if we focus on more
>> topics that some of us may like we also keep a friendly welcoming
>> atmosphere so that new users feel comfortable. I always liked at
>> meetings when Brad would present something cool then we could all have
>>
>> time to chat, talk about what we're up to, get advice on certain
>> things
>> etc. -Jesse
>>
>> Timothy Finucane wrote:
>> > I all for combining everything into one group. Name doesn't matter
>> > much to me. It's the mailing list I watch the most as it is full of
>>
>> > useful information. The fewer I have to be subscribed to the
>> better.
>> >

>> > --
>> > Timothy J. Finucane
>> >
>> > http://www.speljamr.com
>> >
>> > Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/p/Timothy_J_Finucane/682422189

Let me take a moment to thank Mark for his compliments and enthusiasm
as well as suggesting the individual groups merge.

I would like to clarify my goals and hopefully the group as a whole.

As mentioned above by a few different people the idea of an
"Enterprise" group isn't to segregate individual members into 2
different classes or to create a type of "Elitest" club image. It is
only to create a sub-meeting (which ideally would meet on a seperate
week and day) where the focus is on Linux and "Enterprise" usage.

The whole intent of creating this secondary meeting would be to cater
the topics for more advanced Linux usage (IE Clustering, Puppet,
SELinux, etc). This by no means is saying that any and everyone can
not attend if the topic is of interest to them, it is only saying that
the presentations / topics is going to assume the attendees are
"comfortable" with Linux and may skip over basic things that are
assumed an attendee should already know.

The whole idea is to have a LUG that covers all user levels from new
users to advanced. By creating a secondary meeting that possibly meets
on a different day, this would allow members to choose which meeting
to attend based on the presentation topics, and if they wish, can
attend both. It would still be WNYLUG regardless,  just meeting
possibly twice a month  instead of once with different targeted
topics.

Of course this is simply my thoughts. The group as a whole, ultimately
will discuss and vote on how to approach this topic and what is best.
This will be added as a meeting agenda item to be discussed at the
January 14th 2009 meeting.

--
Regards,

BrianPowell