[nflug] Meeting and Samba notes

paul paul at paulcosta.com
Tue May 27 18:12:08 EDT 2008

Darin Perusich wrote:

> paul wrote:
>> Darin Perusich wrote:

>>> Did you try reverting back to the original settings to see if the
>>> problem goes away?
>>>
>> Yes, I had a copy of my smb.conf file [smb.conf.org] and renamed it
>> to  smb.conf but that did not work.
>> It may have been as simple as not waiting long enough for windoz to
>> update its network settings
>> (actually, I'm not sure why I have to wait but that was what was
>> suggested in the samb.pdf file)
>>

> I thought what changed was network card settings? I know when I make
> changes to Samba the clients see them right away, after I restart
> Samba that is.

Since I was having problems, I just started over, I don't know samba
that well.
Starting over helped me learn a few things.
My whole problem started when I lost internet connectivity
I used Yast2 to reset nic card but that didn't work so I
powered off my modem and router, then reboot my machine
thats when I realized that my samba connection was not working

So I puttered around with samba for a while to no avail

So I started over
I changed the fstab mount point for the shares
changed the .conf file and
finally I got it up and running

paul