[nflug] Fw: Red Hat Magazine | April 2008

Robert Wolfe robertwolfe at localnet.com
Fri May 23 08:22:20 EDT 2008

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 14:29:45 -0400
From: "Red Hat" <email at info.redhat.com>
Subject: Red Hat Magazine | April 2008

-->Red Hat Magazine
http://www.redhatmagazine.com/?sc_cid=70160000000HLCz

Dear Readers,

In April, Red Hat Magazine launched a new feature: interviews with Fedora contributers and leaders co-published with Fedora Interviews. We've published three so far. Read the most recent one, a session with  Jeremy Katz, David Cantrell, and Chris Lumens about the improvements to

-->Anaconda in Fedora 9.
http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2008/04/29/interview-anaconda-and-fedora-9/

We've also got some great new videos for you, tips and tricks, and Dev Fu published several JBoss videos and an audiocast.

One more thing--we're still interested in hearing from two groups of people:
*Fedora users. Paul Frields wants to know

-->how you used Fedora
http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2008/04/04/how-do-you-use-fedora/

to achieve something special. Tell us your story.*Folks with Red Hat, Fedora, or other geeked out tattoos. If that's you,

-->let us know!
http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2008/04/18/got-ink/

Features

-->Fedora 9 and Summit preview: Confining the user with SELinux
http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2008/04/17/fedora-9-and-summit-preview-confining-the-user-with-selinux/

This one's a two-fer! Dan Walsh covers the evolution of SELinux from Fedora 2 all the way to the upcoming Fedora 9 launch. Find out how it started and how user access controls will grow in the newest release. As a bonus, this is also a preview of Walsh's scheduled talk at the upcoming Red Hat Summit.

-->What is middleware? In plain English, please.
http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2008/03/11/what-is-middleware-in-plain-english-please/

I listened to a webcast from JBoss World today with a group of people. After hearing several speakers announce new middleware products and initiatives (as JBoss is the leading force in open source middleware), one of them turned to me and asked, "Just what is middleware?" When I started to describe transaction servers and database connection pool sharing, she held up a hand and said, "No. I want to know what it is in real world terms, and why it's a big deal."

-->How to populate content on a disconnected Red Hat Network Satellite server
http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2008/04/03/how-to-populate-content-on-a-disconnected-satellite/

Red Hat Network Satellite server allows users to locally host subscribed content from Red Hat Network and custom content in user-managed channels. An example configuration could include a server syncing content updates directly from RHN, while another mission-critical server could be disconnected from the external network, yet still receive updates via manual syncing. In the latter case, these offline servers must be manually updated regularly. Since content updates cannot be synced directly from rhn.redhat.com, RHN Satellite provides two options for our users.

-->Videos
http://www.redhatmagazine.com/category/multimedia

-->Mark Little on SOA
http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2008/04/23/video-mark-little-on-soa/

We hope you've enjoyed our videos from JBoss World\u2013here's one more. While we were in Orlando, we talked with Dr. Mark Little, technical development manager for the SOA (service-oriented architecture) platform at Red Hat.

-->Bela Ban
http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2008/04/14/video-bela-ban/

Meet Bela Ban, a developer who began the JGroups and JBoss Cache projects. He's now the technical lead of the JBoss clustering team, continuing the work he began as an college instructor.

-->Developer Fu
http://developer.redhatmagazine.com/?sc_cid=70160000000HLDd

-->Horizon appearing for freed open source Java
http://developer.redhatmagazine.com/2008/04/28/horizon-appearing-for-freed-open-source-java/

Weren't we all skeptical when Sun announced their intent to open source Java? But we've watched along the way, as they chose a good free/libre/open source software license (the GPL), as they opened the code Sun has a copyright to, and as they have embraced (to varying degrees) the community efforts, such as GNU Classpath and IcedTea.

-->Web Beans overview - video with Gavin King
http://developer.redhatmagazine.com/2008/04/18/web-beans-overview-video-with-gavin-king/

Fresh from Australia, via JBoss.org, this is nearly an hour-long presentation on Web Beans. As the specification lead and originator of the JSR, Gavin has a lot to say on the subject.

-->Truth Happens
http://truthhappens.redhatmagazine.com/?sc_cid=70160000000HLDi

-->Red Hat Asks Federal Court To Limit Patents On Software
http://truthhappens.redhatmagazine.com/2008/04/07/red-hat-asks-federal-court-to-limit-patents-on-software/

In a friend of the court brief submitted to the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals in the Bilski case today, Red Hat describes the special problems that patents pose for open source and seeks modification of the standards for patentable subject matter that take open source into account. Here is a quick summary of our brief.

-->EFF Asks Court to Limit What Is Patentable
http://truthhappens.redhatmagazine.com/2008/04/08/eff-asks-court-to-limit-what-is-patentable/

In re Bilski is an appellate court case that provides an opportunity to eliminate business method patents and curtail efforts to claim monopolies on basic human skills, behaviors, and interactions. Bilski is challenging the rejection of his application for a patent on a method of managing the risk of bad weather through commodities trading. EFF submitted an amicus brief supporting the rejection of Bilski's patent application and setting forth a framework for determining patentable subject matter that focuses on the use of technology in the claimed invention.

contact our sales team

[http://www.redhat.com/apps/webform.html?event_type=contact_sales&eid=21]

email preferences

[http://app.info.redhat.com/e/sl.aspx?s=257&elq=3C0B67DBBE164A07BF9F9B0AD7F91C85]

language

[http://www.info.redhat.com/forms/ProfileUpdate1?elq=3C0B67DBBE164A07BF9F9B0AD7F91C85]

privacy policy

[http://www.redhat.com/legal/privacy_statement.html]

unsubscribe

[http://app.info.redhat.com/e/cu.aspx?s=257&elqc=19&ea=wolfpup74@adelphia.net&elq=3C0B67DBBE164A07BF9F9B0AD7F91C85]

"Red Hat" and the "Shadowman" logo are trademarks or registered trademarks
of Red Hat, Inc.

Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds.

© 2008 Red Hat, Inc. All rights reserved.

1801 Varsity Drive

Raleigh, NC 27606 USA

--
Robert Wolfe <robertwolfe at localnet.com>