[nflug] Opinions on Linux and Massive Storage

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 30 12:56:13 EDT 2008

Well, for that kind of storage, I'd recommend getting an EMC SAN setup.  Are you planning on building something for static data that you're just going to be mostly reading or doing lots of read and write activity.  If it's the latter, you're going to want SCSI interfaces on the drives.  EMC makes both SCSI and ATA SANs.  You want a configuration that uses fiber connects to the SAN, if you can afford it.

If you're doing heavy database work, when you build the RAIDs, I'd recommend going with a RAID 10 with as many disks as you can if you're doing lots of random access.  I found that with databasing, RAID5 is really bad at large scale writes.  RAID 10 with lotsa disks will give you more speed (the more disks that you can spread out over the better).  Not having to compute parity is a major win.  Go for more disks with less capacity, rather than fewer, large capacity disks, if speed is the major issue.

Also, try to not build multiple systems on the same spindle sets if you're doing databasing.  I've watched a single spindle set show massive I/O wait when multiple systems were hitting it.

This can get really complex, really fast.  Basically, I think I'd need lots more information on the intended use of the system in order to be able to help with it.  If you have a set of design requirements, that would help a lot.

Cheers!

Bob

 --
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
--Leonardo da Vinci