[nflug] Opinions on Linux and Massive Storage

Erek Dyskant erek at blumenthals.com
Mon Jun 30 14:46:09 EDT 2008

I'm in the process of designing a 10TB-50TB iscsi storage system using
ZFS and comstar.  Really, for what you're talking about, Linux storage
isn't the best option, as it doesn't have the filesystem and volume
management features to handle large data sets gracefully.  Sure, you can
set up a gigantically huge logical volume in LVM, but what about
performance friendly snapshots, replication, live expansion, etc.

In my opinion, ZFS is stability mature but potentially not featureset
mature.  It's stable, and many organizations are relying on it to manage
hundreds of TBs of data under heavy stress.  However, from a product
management perspective Sun isn't positive where they're going with it so
the featureset roadmap is a little fuzzy.

If you prefer the Linux userspace tools, have a look at Nexenta.  It's a
debian-based distribution with gnu tools, but the solaris kernel,
dtrace, zones, etc.  They do a good job of picking the solaris features
so you get stable stuff but a little more cutting edge than solaris
(closer to opensolaris express)

Also, be sure to get the pitches from EMC, Falconstor, NetApp, etc.  You
may find that when all's said and done you're still better with a
traditional hardware storage array.

Do update us on your progress along the way.  It sounds like a really
interesting project.

Cheers,
Erek