[nflug] Hal is messed up

Robert Stockdale IV bobstockdale at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 04:00:10 EST 2008

I seem to have several problems with my computer since the last upgrade.
When I boot up or restart X and login I get an error message that HAL could
not be started. I fired up synaptic and it kills and upgrade attempt with
the error message:

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/hal_0.5.9.1-6ubuntu5_amd64.deb: subprocess new
pre-removal script returned error exit status 2

I then decide to remove HAL so I can do a fresh install of it and I get this
error message

E: hal: Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should

However, it ends there and does not tell me what to do.

I've tried all the usual such as

      apt-get -f  install

      synaptic fix broken packages

nothing helps. What do I need to do to resolve this, short of a reinstall
from CD or DVD. This is a Gutsy 7.10 on an AMD 64 system with 2 Gig RAM and
500Gig SATA HD.

Thanl you,
Bob.