[nflug] Kino Video editing

Robert Stockdale IV bobstockdale at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 11:21:10 EDT 2008

On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 8:03 AM, Cyber Source <peter at thecybersource.com>
wrote:

> Hello Bob,
>  Sorry, I should have read your post more thoroughly. When I saw you
> referring to kino, I assumed you were taking video from a video cam and then
> going to work with it. I saw someone else post about dvd::rip, I've worked
> with that and it does what you want. So does kino but I don't really like
> kino's interface for building a dvd.
>  If you have an existing video, *.avi, *.mpg or any other video mplayer
> can view, MythTV has an awesome plugin that can take any recording (tv),
> videos, etc., and create iso's, reencode to resize, etc. and then burn
> dvd's, with or without menus. In fact, it has some pretty cool editing
> capabilities for cutting commericals, by frame, time, all sorts of stuff.
> You can apt-get the package (mytharchive). I've never tried it but you
> should be able to work with VOB files with that as well, you might need to
> fool the app initially though with a file extension though.
>
> Robert Stockdale IV wrote:
>

> > On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 12:19 AM, Cyber Source <peter at thecybersource.com<mailto:
> > peter at thecybersource.com>> wrote:
> >
> >    What file type is the output?
> > Output should be standard DVD format ie: *.VOB files needs to be able to
> > play in most DVD players
> >
> >    And what is the media?
> >
> > 4.7G  DVD
> >
> > I know I can rip it from the command line and I like to be able to set
> > up scripts to run through the whole process (rtp the feature selection from
> > /dev/dvd0, resize to fit a 4.7G DVD, rewrite the .IFO files, create the .iso
> > image and then burn them to the blank DVD disc in /dev/dvd1. With all the
> > conflicting information I find on the web and the 2,000 ways to this and
> > that is why I got into Kino and it probably is not the most efficient
> >  method.
> > Thank you,
> > Bob
> >
> > -----sniped----

My main objective is to just copy to 4.7G DVD´s our video collection so we
can take the backup versions to our cottage for the summer and not have to
pack those we may want to view back and forth from Wheatfield and Java Lake.
The DVD player at the cottage is old and the DVD´s need to be able to play
in it. Thank you.
Bob