[nflug] After many, many google searches, I have to admit defeat and ask for help...

Brad Bartram brad.bartram at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 09:44:46 EDT 2007

Thanks for all the input guys.  After looking into the leads y'all gave me,
I decided to go with wipe.  I had seen it before, but completely missed the
part of being able to sanitize block devices.

Just as a little further explanation, because of the work I do, when I
forensically sanitize storage media, I have to be able to testify to the
accuracy, not only of the data contained on the media but also to the
preparation methods.  Part of the accuracy is having to use accepted
standards-based methods and techniques.  A simple error such as this can
compromise the reliability of the data being written to the media.  It's a
pain, but unfortunately those are the rules I live with.

Normally, when dealing with normal configurations, I would just pop in the
boot disk, fire up my tool of choice, which my office has many to choose
from, and be done with it.  This particular system is a special config that
is not really accounted for in the normal boot cd.

So, now I've got a wipe going on a very large drive array partition and
based on the size of the array and the time it's taken to get this far, I
figure it should be sanitized sometime early next week.  (Glad I'm not in a
rush!)

Once again, thanks for all the help and input.

Brad