[nflug] FBSD 7-b1.5

Ken Smith kensmith at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Wed Oct 31 10:10:14 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-31 at 09:50 -0400, Robert Wolfe wrote:
> Good morning all!
>
> Well, downloadeded and installed the FreeBSD 7 beta last night and
> attempted to install it in a VMWare Server environment.  Everything
> seems to have installed properly with the exception of the X.org
> stuff.  Has anyone else had this problem as well?

If you try doing a cvsup based update to pull in the fixes made since
the BETA1.5 ISOs were created it should fix this problem.  There were a
few last minute adjustments to the ABI for the PCI bus.  I don't know
for sure if that would fix a binary package install, it depends on how
old the package set was.  The ports folks just entered their code freeze
and a fresh set of packages should begin showing up in a few days that
would definitely have been built against the current ABI.

If you're familiar with the ports system and portupgrade you could also
force portupgrade to rebuild the xorg stuff using the source method
instead of relying on binary packages.  Depending on your system (and
patience level :-) that could take too long though.  I tend to rely on
the ports tree and compile method of dealing with installing stuff but I
don't mind starting up a portupgrade and letting it run for a day when
it comes time to update things like xorg/gnome.

--
                                                Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith at cse.buffalo.edu
  there, funny things are everywhere.   |