[nflug] TV Tuner Cards

K O wpos2 at roadrunner.com
Sun Oct 21 21:15:45 EDT 2007

I know that this doesn't address a specific OS or card slot technology,
but, here goes: Keep in mind that digital broadcasts will be obligatory
in the US for full-power TV stations after 2009 February 17.  Be sure to
buy a digital tuner card if you want to be able to use the tuner part of
the card after this date.  Also, keep in mind that a lot of TV tuners
(in actual TVs, and not just tuner cards) will have digital receivers
for off-air broadcasts, but the cable tuners will receive only analog
channels, or at best digital channels that are not encrypted (which
pretty much rules out anything but the Big 3 and stuff like C-SPAN and
community access channels).  There is a technology called Cable CARD
whereby one inserts a PC-card-like card into the TV and this decodes the
encrypted channels.  This type of card is typically leased from the
cable provider like a tuner box would be, albeit for significantly less.
  The drawback is that, unlike a digital tuner box, the current
standards for Cable CARD (1.1 I believe) don't allow for duplex data
transfer, so you wouldn't have the ability to view pay-per-view
broadcasts (I don't think) or have an interactive programming guide.
Cable CARD 2.0 is a standard that does allow for duplex data transfer,
but I don't think that there are any devices that take advantage of
that.  Then again, I don't know of any PCI express tuner cards.

HThH at least somewhat.