[nflug] Linux Certification

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Tue Oct 9 00:27:29 EDT 2007

Good point about how certs might pigeon hole your employee candidates
better than actually trying to ascertain their respective abilities from
such certs. However, Dave makes a point that I strongly believe in
because I've been on the side of the employer and what people say and
produce means little when it gets down to it. Certs don't show creative
thinking, ability to get along with others, etc..
  I am happily a one man band now, with the occasional help from my son
Jesse who is climbing the ladder over at Ingram Micro and this thread
reminds me of when I use to employ a few people. 2 in particular come to
mind.
Employee #1 was always on time, always brought his lunch, but was a
sloth when it came to work and generally bogged down everyone around him.
Employee #2 was always late, albeit a few minutes usually, sometimes
hungover, usually fighting with his gf that just dropped him off but
when he came to work, he got shit done and always got everyone around to
do better, be in better spirits, etc..
Which employee do you think I favored?
So, to sum it up, get the cert if it means getting in the door, learn
how to work and get along with people, and try to accomplish something,
always. And Good Luck!