[nflug] Linux Certification

Christopher Hawkins chawkins at bplinux.com
Mon Oct 8 12:03:55 EDT 2007

I'll second that. I know that in Human Resources and Project Management they
have certifications that you can't even take the test for until you have
thousands of hours of documented field experience. If they came up with
something like that for techies it might raise the bar somewhat. The whole
"paper MCSE" thing gave certs a bad name a while back... I worked with
several of them and it's a shame that it was (is?) possible to get certified
with so little actual understanding of the concepts. That's one reason I
never renewed my MCSE... Its value seemed to keep going down. One thing I
will say, though - the Cisco CCNA exam was *hard*. I'd value that in hiring
because I don't think you could ever pass if you didn't understand
networking backwards and forwards. Anyone else got an opinion on Cisco's
certs?

Chris