[nflug] Router Recommendations

Erek Dyskant erek at blumenthals.com
Wed Nov 28 14:41:44 EST 2007

> Data from the T is already taken care of via an AdTran Total Access
> 608 (which I don't have admin access to).  Right now, that feed is
> going into our little SOHO router.  I need the dual wan's because
> we're going to be adding a cable backup to our T-1 access.

Personally, I'd use a Sonicwall TZ-190, as it has the features you asked
for and has a good user interface (a lot like the linksys style of
interface, just with many more options).

Otherwise, Vyatta, IPCop, smoothwall (really a rebranded/extended IPCop)
and Cisco are all reasonable options.  If you end up going with Cisco
and you're not comfortable with IOS, you'll probably save a lot of
headache if you just budget in to hire a Cisco expert for a day or half
day to get everything going and train people on the basics.

A few people brought up incoming failover.  I'm assuming that you're
only interested in outgoing failover, as incoming is a whole other
ballgame and requires cooperation from your upstreams (Which I don't
know of any cable providers that will support BGP).

Cheers,
Erek