[nflug] Router Recommendations

Erek Dyskant erek at blumenthals.com
Tue Nov 27 12:25:50 EST 2007

    In my experience, the cheap routers tend to have small NAT tables,
so they will start to drop connections or slow way down whenever they're
handling a large number of small connections.  Also, linksys routers are
prone to power fluctuations, so if the voltage drops at all they'll
reboot and drop all your connections.

    If you want to go the linux route, IPCop is an excellent specialized
distribution for routing/firewalling.  If you'd prefer an appliance,
I've had great luck with the sonicwall TZ or Pro line equipment, with
the proviso that the software will be a little bit crippled unless you
shell out for their Enhanced software upgrade.

    Hope this helps.  Let us know what you decide on.

--Regards,
Erek Dyskant