[nflug] Nagios and old Dell boxes

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 8 16:23:05 EST 2007

I'm in the process of upgrading the O/S on a bunch of older Dell (2450, 6300) PowerEdge servers.  I'm trying to upgrade them all to CentOS 5.  This is not a big deal except that I'm running into a bit of a snag with Dell's OpenManage.  It seems that the older servers are not supported in the newer versions of OpenManage and the old versions don't work with the newer Linux.  This is further complicated by the fact that all of the Nagios plugins that I find want at least version 4.5 of OpenManage.  It seems that the last version that supported a 2450 was 3.2.xx.

Has anybody out there found a solution to this problem?

Secondly, I've been trying to figure out what to use for monitoring all of the machines and a UPS.  I've finally decided on Nagios for the task.  I'd like to find out from folks out there what they had to go through to get Nagios running and monitoring.  Most specifically, I have a UPS that seems to only be able to give information about critical events through traps, not through SNMP polling.  Can I get Nagios to interface with snmptrapd and be able to properly deal with traps?  Most monitoring systems seem to want to poll for their status information.  We're currently using "What's Up" on a Windoze box.  We'd like to make that box go away, hence the monitoring system update.

We're interested in monitoring EVERYTHING that we can monitor.  Especially hardware RAID disk health and temperatures.

Lots of work ahead of me...

Cheers!

Bob

http://mail.yahoo.com