[nflug] Buffalo Community Wireless Network

Justin S. Leitgeb justin at phq.org
Fri May 11 09:09:43 EDT 2007

Robert Wolfe wrote:
> Justin and everyone else on the listing, you may want to check out
> http://www.buffalowifi.org.  It's a pretty cool free community
> wireless network here in Buffalo that pretty much has access points in
> most places here in town.  I know that there is also an offshoot of
> that project in Lancaster as well.

Hi Robert and others,

When I was considering starting a community wireless network, I did look
at other efforts in the Buffalo area, including buffalowifi.org.  Since
I'm not sure how clear my original email was, I wanted to outline some
of the primary differences between what I envisioned for Buffalo through
buffalowireless.org and the efforts of buffalowifi.org.

Basically, Buffalo Wifi sees themselves as providing free "access
points" and the advocacy of broadly available access to the Internet.
Although the issue of promoting open access to technology is important
in both movements, community wireless networks such as that which I am
advocating are achieved through a more comprehensive mechanism than just
offering access points that are open to the public.  Specifically,
through the creation of a "mesh network," (most likely with nodes
running some variant of linux and a routing protocol like OLSR
http://www.olsr.org/) I would like to see communities in Buffalo create
their own redundant wireless network of interconnected nodes.  This is
an approach that has generally descended from efforts like MIT's
"Roofnet" project and is in use by groups like Personal Telco in
Portland and Seattle Wireless.

I think that through the creation of a network such as those mentioned
above, our organization can be less dependent on a single Internet
service provider at any given point.  This should give us more control
over the way that the network is run and more flexibility to share our
services with those who need and want them.  Eventually it should also
allow us to leverage our collaborative resources to buy bigger Internet
connections, such as a T1, which we could share under terms of service
that we decide on, rather than the extremely restrictive terms of
service that Time Warner and Verizon have been using (specifically that
which specifically disallows any kind of sharing).

Finally, I did contact Buffalo Wifi using the form on their web page
concerning possible support or collaboration between an effort like that
of buffalowireless.org and buffalowifi.org.  That was weeks (months?)
ago and I haven't received any response.  While this may very well have
been an oversight, I wanted to make sure that buffalowireless.org
remains as open to discussion with the community as possible.  For this
reason, I set up the home page of the group as a wiki which anyone can
modify at http://www.buffalowireless.org and set up a list serve, which
will hopefully facilitate open discussion about the creation of a strong
network that benefits all communities in the area.

At any rate, I appreciate and find highly valuable efforts like that of
Buffalo Wifi.  I hope that in the future buffalowireless.org and
buffalowifi.org can collaborate and build off of each others' efforts,
and that this email helps to clarify some of the differences that I see
between the two projects.  Since I've received a couple of comments on
the nflug list and off concerning groups of one type or another, I
modified the wiki page on buffalowireless.org to reflect some of the
different groups that are out there, and I added mention of buffalowifi.org:

http://www.buffalowireless.org/wiki/CommunityWirelessNetworks

Thanks for putting up with this long-winded email, and I hope to see
many of you at http://www.buffalowireless.org.  I also wanted to let you
all know that I appreciate the amount of interest that people in nflug
have expressed, on the list and off.  My goal is to build up a critical
mass on the buffalowireless list serve before we have a face-to-face
meeting about the network we're setting up, perhaps in a bar or coffee
shop in the Buffalo area.  Hope to see you there!

Best,

Justin