[nflug] dual video card

Justin S. Leitgeb justin at phq.org
Fri Jun 1 17:04:03 EDT 2007

Eric Benoit wrote:
> ahhh, further digging found me to the nvidia Linux driver software
> which auto magically install software and modules.  very nice!
>
> Eric Benoit wrote:
>> Hi, I'm using Fedora6, my dual video card is recognized and both
>> monitors are recognized
>> However after I configure them through:
>> system -> administration -> display ...and check on dual head ...then
>> logout out of gnome, xserver fails to start and no errors seem to be
>> logged to tell me what happened?  Has anyone dealt with a problem
>> similar to this one, or have an idea?
>>
>> Thank in advance,
>> Eric

I don't know if you ended up using the package directly from nvidia or
the RPM package from the livna repository, but the latter is more
convenient from my experience.  If you use the NVidia package you will
have to re-install it every time you upgrade your kernel; whereas with
the packages from the livna repository (installed by yum as
kmod-nvidia-1.0.9755-3.2.6.21_1.3194.fc7 and
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-1.0.9755-2.lvn7 on my current Fedora 7 system) OS
upgrades don't always kill your X configuration.

In either case, if you have had to create a custom xorg.conf file you
should save a backup somewhere since the nvidia software tends to
ungracefully erase it with particular upgrades.