[nflug] Blackberry 8300 Ubuntu

Mark T. Valites mark-nflug at valites.net
Fri Jul 27 11:00:17 EDT 2007

Is the Blackberry plugged into your machine via an unpowered USB hub by
any chance?

If so, it's not Linux/ubuntu's fault. There was a change made in the
2.6.16 kernel that "fixed" it to behaive this way when connecting devices
via unpowered USB hubs. The following article summarizes:

http://lwn.net/Articles/186331/

Additional details on the power spec can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#Power_supply

If you're not going through an unpowered USB hub, I wouldn't be surprised
if you're seeing a similar issue.

I stumbled across this when connecting my cell phone to my Sharp Zaurus vi
a compact flash USB adapter:

http://www.valites.net/2007/02/17/sharp-zaurus-5600-poodle-ppp-cell-phone-how-to/

-Mark