[nflug] GNOME problems

paul paul at paulcosta.com
Mon Jul 2 23:42:25 EDT 2007

K O wrote:
> Folks:
>
> I'm having a problem with GNOME on my laptop.  I have lost the title
> bar in my apps, not allowing even moving their windows, as well as the
> ability to switch desktops.  (My pre-defined keystrokes don't work,
> and the applet in the panel is not visible.)  If it matters, then it's
> a Fedora 7 system.
> 1.    This happened after a boot from a cold start.
> 2.    No updates were performed during the last successful boot.
> 3.    KDE comes up fine.
> 4.    GNOME under a different username comes up fine.
> 5.    I ran yum to update.  No visible results.
> 6.    I uninstalled and reinstalled gnome-panel and all dependencies.
> Again, no visible results.
> 7.    I booted off an Ubuntu cd and ran fsck.  No errors.
> 8.    Windows appear in the upper left hand corner on top of the panel.
> 9.    Mouse pointer position determines active windows.  I didn't have
> this option selected before.
> 10.    The window list will show the app as it's being launched, then
> disappears once it's running.
> 11,    I've tried different themes with the same result.
>
> Also, something I feel worth mentioning is that after upgrading to
> Fedora 7, a 2 cm ^2 patch in the upper left hand of the screen
> appears.  It almost looks like an area of inverted colors.  That area
> is accessible (tho unseen), and disappears after a minute or 2.
> Again, this does not happen under a different username, or KDE.  Also,
> GNOME has been a bit flaky under Fedora 6, but there was nothing a
> relogin didn't usually fix.  Not so now.
>
> I don't really know where to begin.  I don't even know how to google
> this one.  All I suspect for now is that some config file within the
> home directory got borked.  I could really use a snausage to get me in
> the right direction.  (My dog could use a snausage too, but here pure
> people food lust is at play.)  As always, I thank you kindly for
> whatever you can tell me to help.

I think it would be faster to just reinstall Gnome instead of spending
hours looking for a fix
However, I would list my important profile settings before an install so
I could set them back to where they were
If it continues after a reinstall, then I would look into it more.
Sounds like one of the Gnome files may be corrupted or a bad link.
I have found that trying to trace these types of problems just leads u
down the rabbit hole
and a reinstall is more productive- the architecture is irrelevant to me
in these situations

That is how I would approach the problem, but thats me

Peace