[nflug] Flat Panel LCD Monitors

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Thu Jan 25 19:15:08 EST 2007

David Mangani wrote:
> Oh, one last thing. I noticed that from my desktop. If I go to screen
> resolution I see my 1680x1050 resolution but the drop down box for
> refresh rate is locked at 60. No other refresh seems possible at this
> resolution. Not sure why but the screen has absolutely no flicker even
> at 60 hz.... Is that an lcd thing? That would be awful with a crt.
>
> Dave
>

> On 1/25/07, David Mangani <buckettruckdave at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I also noticed that the resolution you were forced to run was
>> 1400x1050? is not even available to me. Perhaps there is a revision
>> difference or maybe the video card as you mentioned may play a factor.
>> I did notice that the specs quoted on NewEggs web site were slightly
>> different than those provided in the user manual. ( ~ 1-2 hz I forget
>> which way ). I also noted that in my user manual the entire OSD
>> documentation was different that what was actually present on my
>> monitor. Maybe I have an older manual or newer monitor or some
>> combination of those factors. Like I said, I really didn't maually
>> edit or change anything. I simply used the xorg file as created by
>> dpkg.. Wish I could have been more help. If you do figure it out, let
>> me know what it was! I'd love to know.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Dave
>>

>> On 1/25/07, Cyber Source <peter at thecybersource.com> wrote:
>> > I will try it again, although when I did my dpkg-reconfigure, I'm
>> pretty
>> > sure those were the rates it used. You have a newer video card then
>> mine
>> > as well.
>> > VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX
>> 4000 AGP
>> > 8x] (rev c1), yours is pcie right? Maybe it's an agp thing.
>> > Here is what the manu specs for that monitor say...
>> > Model Brand SCEPTRE Model X20WG-Naga Cabinet Color Black Display Panel
>> > TFT LCD Screen Size 20.1" Widescreen Yes Display Type WSXGA+ Maximum
>> > Resolution 1680 x 1050 Recommended Resolution 1680 x 1050 Viewing
>> Angle
>> > 160°(H) / 160°(V) Display Colors 16.2 Million Brightness 300 cd/m2
>> > Contrast Ratio 1000:1 Response Time 5ms (GTG) Horizontal Refresh Rate
>> > Analog: 24kHz - 82kHz
>> > Digital: 31kHz - 80kHz Vertical Refresh Rate Analog: 50Hz - 75Hz
>> > Digital: 50Hz - 75Hz
>> >
>> > The rates you showed are what's suppose to be set for the analog.
>> >

>> --
>> Debian Linux/FC6/Sometimes Ubuntu.

Yep I noticed the difference between the manual on the cd and the web
site, that's why I had a go at it again, thinking it might be the
difference.
What is really weird is that my x logs say everything is just honky
dory, shows the display being set to 1680x1050 and running at like 60.2
for the vertical, I even thought maybe it didn't like the variable for
the vert sync rate so I set it manually at 60.2, no luck, maybe I should
try again with just 60. I have a feeling it's something with my card
though cause dmesg shows that it's constantly putting the card at 8x,
like 10 times. Ah for now, I'll just leave it, when I upgrade my box and
get into pcie, I'm sure it'll be fine.
The 1400x1050 isnt available to you cause it's not in your x file. The
selection in the gui only shows what's in the x file. If you manually
put it in, I'll be it would work, not that you'd wanna anyway. Thanks
for the feedback Dave.