[nflug] Broadcom Wireless Card

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Tue Jan 9 13:24:28 EST 2007

K Olkowski wrote:
> I've been running ndiswrapper on my laptop from FC3.  In my case, I
> had to make sure that the package wireless-tools is installed.  It's
> not the most elegant solution, since it still requires a Windows XP
> driver, but it works for me, so I'm ok with it.
>
> Installation wasn't too bad.  You download the binary and do the whole
> make/make distclean/make install thing and it's up and running for the
> particular kernel you're running.
>
> In my case, configuration was a bit of a bear.  Modprobing and putting
> the wireless card driver into effect using ndiswrapper went off
> without a hitch.  The instructions (the link to which I will send here
> if I remember to do so, and remember what it is) for the setup within
> the terminal, in short, were easy, but I had to resort to the GUI
> network tools, THEN edit the ifcfg-wlan0 file because some of the
> options in the GUI config were grayed out.  All in all, I learned
> something that day, and now I can view My Space profiles on my laptop
> just like the other kids.
>
>> I've had some of the broadcoms work, others not, depends on the version.
>> apt-get the bcm43xx-fwcutter and you can extract the firmware right from
>> you windows side of the pc (if it's dual boot). If not, download the
>> windows driver and extract it from there. Extract into the /lib/firmware
>> directory and then modprobe bcm43xx. If all else fails you can always
>> use ndiswrapper. I've actually had alot of good experiences with
>> ndiswrapper however it wants to call the device wlan0 and
>> network-manager (i believe) only listens to devices called eth* and I
>> like network-manager, but you can use wifi-radar with ndiswrapper and it
>> works well too.

Being on Ubuntu, all the configs you need will be written to
/etc/networking/interfaces when you initial the card with modprobe. When
done installing the driver, don't forget to run (if your going to do
ndiswrapper) ndiswrapper -m, that will write "alias wlan0 ndiswrapper"
to /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper for you, that should be all you need.
Don't give up on the native driver, you will need to extract the
firmware and then you should be all set. I'm pretty sure that exact
chipset was one I did not too long ago and it worked perfect. It will
NOT work without the firmware though!