[nflug] ubuntu on old imac

Jason O'Bara obarajt at verizon.net
Mon Jan 8 22:43:39 EST 2007

Thanks for the links. Well I think I am making a little progress.

I could not get it to boot from the CD. The "c" key or another one I
found (command-option-delete-backspace) would get it to force a boot
from CD. I pulled the HDD and thought it looked like any other one I
have kicking around and swapped it with a blank one. This seemed to work
by truly forcing it to look to the CD for a bootable disk. The Ubuntu
live CD does boot and brings me to a desktop, but I have run out of time
for today and will try to install tomorrow.

I almost forgot, during the Ubuntu bootup, the screen does indeed go
dark, so I plugged in my regular monitor to the external VGA port on the
back of the iMac box, and I can now see. It does boot pretty slow, I am
hoping that is because of not booting from the HDD.

I wonder if I can take it apart to separate the monitor from the rest
of the machine? It would make it lighter and easier to carry =>