[nflug] Ubuntu Edgy Firefox updates

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Mon Jan 1 23:54:14 EST 2007

anthonyriga wrote:
> Thts wht the new FF update was for was security. I
> have no problem reinstalling FF but everytime I run
> into doing a reinstall, updates or upgrades some
> plugins get screwy. Especially now FF 2.0 plugins work
> great after spending lots of  time getting mplayer to
> work with  codecs. I guess my compaint is if FF has
> occuring security issues and patches more often is
> this what you have to go through everytime there are
> upgrades and updates? New users just moving from Win
> or thinking about Vista or Ubuntu should not have to
> go through this trouble to get FF updated. Waiting for
> Ubuntu for the updates is like waiting for MS for
> updates. Meanwhile FF is still unpatched until  Ubuntu
> decides its ok to release their .deb package.
>

> --- matt donovan <kitchetech at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> download the binary yourself or compile it(long
>> time) and install it only
>> way to do it in ubuntu unless you want to wait it
>> might be in edgy-backports
>> and usually the update manager is only for security
>> fixes.
>>
>> On 12/30/06, anthonyriga <torrodimerda at yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> What does it take to get FF to update in Ubuntu
>>>
>> Edgy?
>>
>>> The update came out Dec 21 and I still have not
>>>
>> been
>>
>>> prompted for an update not even when using the
>>>
>> chek
>>
>>> for update tool. Is there a repo or something that
>>> must be added or do I have to wait for the Ubuntu
>>> people to decide when the time is right to push
>>>
>> the
>>
>>> update out like MS?

It would be helpful to note that the majority of security fixes (if not
all) that FF is issuing are probably related to windows and not Linux.
Linux users do not need to panic and do hyper updating and patching as
those in the windows world. It would be interesting to see that if a
particular patch was needed for Linux users to see if the FF update
notice would then get passed on to the repos for various Linux distros.
Then if it didn't show up, you could then have a point to raise or to
see why it didn't (possibly some other reason). Otherwise, I think your
worrying about windows issues that don't relate to us Linux users. I'm
not standing in line to buy Norton either, no need. I know your always
pitching Linux in your windows majority office situation (good man) and
this should help your pitch, just in case you have some windows dweeb in
the office saying, well how come Linux doesn't have this or that blah
blah....