[nflug] rc.local

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Tue Apr 24 16:08:40 EDT 2007

Mark Musone wrote:
> All the rc.local is, is a shell script.
>
> No different than you type: /bin/sh /etc/rc.local
>
> It can/will run however many commands that you want. You just need to make
> sure that each command either exits, runs in a daemon (background) mode, or
> you manually run it in the background by appending a & .
>
> Think of the rc.local as your normal shell command line prompt. It simply
> goes to the next command when that one is finished..
>

> Mark

rc.local is very handy but sometimes lacking in that it runs AFTER
everything else. Excerpt from that file "This script is executed at the
end of each multiuser runlevel." Which can be unwanted. I recently
configured a touch screen tablet and I needed to run a setserial command
PRIOR to X being started. So in a case like this you can create a script
and put the file in /etc/init.d then run sysv-rc-conf and select the
levels for it to run in or just run update-rc.d, either way works.