[nflug] Setting up local MTA as relay questions ## GOT IT

JJ Neff jjneff at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 29 14:11:07 EDT 2006

OK turns out I was beign wrapped around the DEBIAN way :-)

SO I noticed that the actual runtime file for exim is /var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated and so I grepped for local_domains - that is set to MAIN_LOCAL_DOMAINS
Which when grepped was set to @:localhost.  In the conf.conf file where you set the values to be setup at run time I added a dc_local_domains since that is what the MACRO looked like it was taking -- BUT NO changes were being reflected upon restarting exim.

Well DUH I finally read the MAN page and saw that the value it expected for
 DEBCONFlocal_domainsDEBCONF
              is  internally  generated from the contents of dc_other_hostnames in /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf and
              localhost.

dc_other_hostnames  -- WELL THAT WAS SO DARN INTUITIVE I ALMOST SCREAMED!  Every other DEBCONF macro took a dc_macro_name EXcept this one!  OH BOY _

Anyway after 2 days of fiddling I have it working now.  Mail sent to jjneff, jjneff at jjn.com and jjneff at elrey.jjn.com all go to local and mail to internet goes to internet .

What that wore me out - sorry for so many posts but maybe somone can learn from this.

JJN