[nflug] Backup FS to External Storage

JJ Neff jjneff at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 9 01:54:50 EDT 2006

After the troubles I've been having with my main box I finally grabbed a case and 300GB drive to have external storage.  Firewire works great (and it's USB as well for my laptop)

I am formatting 200GB of it ext3 and 100 VFAT to use to backup both machines.

However I suddently realized I didn''t want to jsut backup the root and everything else.

I want to be able to do a full restore but the Home Dirs, OPT, VAR/www and DB locations are all important

I need some suggestions on good ways to back up to external drive.  I am reading faubackup - it seems to fit the bill, but backup ninja or whatever has MySLQ backup which I will need (I think).

SO I am running a LAMP box and have a giant File dump at /opt/vault and want to keep my vmware session at /opt/vmware, and my Home Dirs as well..

I was thinking faubackup since it only hardlinks files that do not change so you get only one copy when backing up to same fs.

Also some tips on backing up SQL and Websites are welcome.

JJ