[nflug] ubuntu 6.10 works great

Boice evrgreen at netsync.net
Thu Nov 9 11:17:15 EST 2006

> I'm also using Dapper (dual boot with XP Media Ed.) and I almost like
> it.  My wireless worked fine to start with then stopped.  Now it says
> there's no wireless hardware even though I see some stuff about it in
> dmesg.  The only thing I know I did was to use aptitude and adept to
> get some additional packages installed, but I don't think any of them
> had to do with wireless networking.
>
> Any ideas what I should look for?
>
> Joe

Hi, Joe.

Yeah: Look for a different distro!

I used to be an "Ubuntu-ista," passing out the free CDs to anyone I
could get to listen.  My first Linux experience was with Warty Warthog.
I liked Hoary Hedgehog and LOVED Breezy Badger.  So I alpha-tested
Dapper when that was in development.

Blech! After documenting & submitting my bug reports, I didn't bother to
DL any of the betas or RCs. After hours "doing my duty" on one alpha
release, I decided life was too short for going through that again.

When I did decide to install the final release, I had so many problems I
was about to dump it after a couple days.

You see, most of the problems I had with it couldn't be fixed the way
plain vanilla GNU/Linux works. Oh, no! UBUNTU had a different idea of
how to stitch together a Linux OS. Finally my decision was made for me
in about another week when an "automatic update" I ran crashed the whole
Dapper install so it wouldn't boot.

I understand they fixed that, and brought out Ubuntu 6.061 to bypass the
problems inherent in 6.06.  It just wasn't ready for final release, IMHO.

Try Mepis 6.0. It's based on the Ubuntu 6.06 repos, so automatix works,
and Synaptic has a lot of solid software to choose from. And Mepis,
unlike Dapper Drake is no lame duck. "Everything just works."   Except
CUPS, which is the Ubuntu version and you have to screw with it to get
it to accept ANY password.

I got my Toshiba Satellite M35 with Intel Pro 2200BG wireless working
from the live CD, and so I installed it on that machine [triple boot
with WinXP, MyahOS and Mepis 6.0]. On my desktop, it's my main distro.
The only limitation vs. some other distros is that Mepis does not
incorporate the write-to-ntfs feature a few others now have.  Since It's
a multiple-boot Linux-only machine, that doesn't bother me.

I have not tried the compiz or Beryl stuff, as KDE is customizable
enough to suit for [for now anyway.]

But to try to get your WiFi working in Dapper: what wireless card/chip
are you using?

Also, try poking around in the Ubuntu forum section for Wireless:
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=136

There are plenty of Ubuntu Wireless problems being discussed there.
Maybe one matches yours, and has a solution.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

--John