[nflug] ubuntu 6.10 works great

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Thu Nov 9 07:37:55 EST 2006

Joe wrote:
> anthonyriga wrote:
>> I have downloaded and writing this email using ubuntu
>> live cd. I will have to say it works great. Im using
>> my work Toshiba tecra m3 wireless PRO/Wireless 2200BG and didnt have
>> to load drivers for anything even
>> wireless works out of box. All power mgt stuff works
>> too. Looks like I will for sure making switch from
>> Fedora. Since this is my work laptop I will make
>> backup of Windows and will be adding Ubuntu as my
>> second dual boot.

> I'm also using Dapper (dual boot with XP Media Ed.) and I almost like
> it.  My wireless worked fine to start with then stopped.  Now it says
> there's no wireless hardware even though I see some stuff about it in
> dmesg.  The only thing I know I did was to use aptitude and adept to
> get some additional packages installed, but I don't think any of them
> had to do with wireless networking.
>
> Any ideas what I should look for?
>
> Joe

Is it possible you only warm booted the laptop from a previous windows
boot? I've seen where windows won't let go of devices, try a cold boot.
Check your lspci for the hardware and search in the ubuntu forums, they
are extremely helpful. Check your logs for any messages that might be
related to the wireless nic.