[nflug] Dual-Boot

JJ Neff jjneff at yahoo.com
Tue May 23 10:42:42 EDT 2006

--- Cyber Source <peter at thecybersource.com> wrote:

> JJ Neff wrote:
> > Tried - no Tomb Raider since like 2 or 3 is listed in cedega DB and Wine is
> > fantastic for my non Direct X apps.  Unfortunately TRL takes advantage of
> Video
> > card drivers and options that the card manufacturer hasn't even invented
> yet!
> > (Yeah I know that sounds bizarre :-)
> >
> > I would love to run it native like i did Return to Castle Wolfenstein (of
> the
> > dead), however I can't find ANY possible way to do it....(meaning someone
> who
> > successfully got it to run!)
> >
> > JJN
> >
> Now that I remember, I have had some luck with 3D games in VMware. There
> are a couple of tricks you can do and it will run games like Chuzzle
> perfectly and games like Luxor pretty good (little slow). It requires
> modifying the VMware *.vmx file. If you haven't tried these already, add
> these to your *.vmx file;
> mks.enable3d = "TRUE"
> svga.vramSize = 67108864
>
> This will make your virtual video adapter have 64MB ram and enable the
> 3D stuff. You need to have 3D working on the host (your Debian). You can
> then install the DirectX9 stuff (if you need that, and don't want to
> search in neverneverland for it, I have it, let me know).

The only problems here are that the Video adapter should be 256 to 512 MB RAM
and it uses custom Nvidia driver tweaks.  I do have 3d working on debian box
and DX9 installs from the TRL install DVD (9+ GB install!!!)

I would love to give it a try but really have to access the Nvidia card
unadulterated to get the best performance I think ?

I will try to add 3d to my current VMware just as a test however and see if I
can get one of the above 3d games loaded...
However if I can only get performance similar to my XP laptop then there is no
advantage to running under VMware in Linux.  Might as well dual boot to take
advantage of my full 256 MB Nvidia card...

JJN