[nflug] Dual-Boot

Sam Stern samstern at samstern.net
Tue May 23 11:19:09 EDT 2006

> > Now that I remember, I have had some luck with 3D games in
> VMware. There
> > are a couple of tricks you can do and it will run games
> like Chuzzle
> > perfectly and games like Luxor pretty good (little slow).
> It requires
> > modifying the VMware *.vmx file. If you haven't tried these
> already, add
> > these to your *.vmx file;
> > mks.enable3d = "TRUE"
> > svga.vramSize = 67108864
> >
> > This will make your virtual video adapter have 64MB ram and
> enable the
> > 3D stuff. You need to have 3D working on the host (your
> Debian). You can
> > then install the DirectX9 stuff (if you need that, and
> don't want to
> > search in neverneverland for it, I have it, let me know).

> The only problems here are that the Video adapter should be
> 256 to 512 MB RAM
> and it uses custom Nvidia driver tweaks.  I do have 3d
> working on debian box
> and DX9 installs from the TRL install DVD (9+ GB install!!!)
>
> I would love to give it a try but really have to access the
> Nvidia card
> unadulterated to get the best performance I think ?
>
> I will try to add 3d to my current VMware just as a test
> however and see if I
> can get one of the above 3d games loaded...
> However if I can only get performance similar to my XP laptop
> then there is no
> advantage to running under VMware in Linux.  Might as well
> dual boot to take
> advantage of my full 256 MB Nvidia card...
>
> JJN

Hi JJ,

There are a few things you can try:

1) If you have VMWARE workstation (not server) then follow the guide at:

<http://www.vmware.com/support/ws55/doc/ws_vidsound_d3d.html>

Which CyberSource already told you about. You can increase the ram to match
whatever ram is in your card.

2) Tryout some of the software gfx emulation tools from 3danalize
<http://www.3dfxzone.it/dir/tools/3d_analyze/index.htm>

3danalize creates a software T&L shim that might just work for your needs.

IF 3danalize does not work, I have found that dual booting is one of the few
areas where buying a tool makes more sense than using the gnu tools
available. I've been using a tool called "system Commander" for almost a
decade now to dual boot. It's stable, easy to use and reliable. If you
cannot get grub to work, or prefer a less fussy solution I strongly
recommend System Commander as a dual boot tool:

<http://www.v-com.com/product/System_Commander_Home.html>

As a note for backup purposes, another tool that supersedes the various free
tools available when dealing with image back up and restore of a Dual boot
Linux/windows configuration is Acronis True Image

<http://www.acronis.com>

I've been using it for 4 years now and it's primary value is it's tight
compression and native handling of all *NIX and Windows file formats. Unlike
ghost, it supports reiserfs, ext3, xfs, and ufs2 (for any BSD nuts like me)
with full compression.

HTH

Sam S.