[nflug] Dual-Boot

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Tue May 23 09:15:40 EDT 2006

JJ Neff wrote:
> Something I have had no reason to do in YEARS!  But alas my best video card is
> in my Linux box and Tomb Raider : Legends blows on my laptop! (Tomb Raider was
> the very last app that had me dual booting years ago- and it just won;t run
> well under VMware :-)
> It's been so long since I've done this I just wanted to make sure I had all my
> ducks in a row.  I have Debian installed using GRUB.
>
> I have an XP Pro bootable.  What gotchas or other things shoudl I be aware of
> or have ready prior to starting an XP install?  I assume a Debina boot disk to
> mount my /boot and rerun grub to update the boot sector AFTER XP screws it up
> (or is there an easy way around this?)
>
> I want Grub to be the bootloader and to choose XP from the GRUB menu...
>
> Thanks
>
> JJ

xtra pooched will rewrite the mbr and you will have to reinstall grub
(if on the same drive). Easiest is to mount your Linux side and run
grub-install after the pooch install. If these are going to be on
different drives, remember to put your mapping in the grub stanza for
pooched, i.e.

root noverify (hd1,0)
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)

and make sure you have (hd1) declared in your /boot/grub/device.map
file. In the device.map file you could declare hd1 to be anything, i.e.
sda, sdb, hdb, hdc, etc..