[nflug] Dual-Boot

joshj at linuxmail.org joshj at linuxmail.org
Tue May 23 09:16:05 EDT 2006

Thus spake JJ Neff on Tue, 23 May 2006

> Something I have had no reason to do in YEARS!  But alas my best video card is
> in my Linux box and Tomb Raider : Legends blows on my laptop! (Tomb Raider was
> the very last app that had me dual booting years ago- and it just won;t run
> well under VMware :-)
> It's been so long since I've done this I just wanted to make sure I had all my
> ducks in a row.  I have Debian installed using GRUB.
>
> I have an XP Pro bootable.  What gotchas or other things shoudl I be aware of
> or have ready prior to starting an XP install?  I assume a Debina boot disk to
> mount my /boot and rerun grub to update the boot sector AFTER XP screws it up
> (or is there an easy way around this?)
>
> I want Grub to be the bootloader and to choose XP from the GRUB menu...

I don't think there is a way around this. You'll have to go back in just
as you described and rebuild your MBR. But i could be wrong on that.

The only gotcha that comes to mind is one that screwed me a little while
ago; Make sure you are not using a 'recovery' disc. A plain vanilla XP
should seek out a windows-formatted partition and install there. But a
'restore' cd will just wipe out your whole hard drive. Just choose
'expert' setup (or something similar) and make sure that the size of the
partition looks correct before proceeding. It has been a while since I've
done this also, so there might be more...

-Josh

> Thanks

22> JJ