[nflug] ssh -X works, nvidia doesn't

Stephen Burke qfwfq at adelphia.net
Tue Mar 28 23:03:21 EST 2006

deadpoint wrote:

> what values do you see when you 'grep X11 /etc/ssh/sshd_config'? there
> should be 3 options, mine are below. it's most likely that X11Forwarding
> is set to no, which i believe is the default. if it is then uncomment
> the line, set it to yes and run 'rcsshd reload'.
>
> grep X11 /etc/ssh/sshd_config
>     X11Forwarding yes
>     #X11DisplayOffset 10
>     #X11UseLocalhost yes

Actually, mine reads the same:

linux:/home/qfwfq # grep X11 /etc/ssh/sshd_config
X11Forwarding yes
#X11DisplayOffset 10
#X11UseLocalhost yes

And, strangely enough, everything works perfectly now without my doing
anything except your check. I have no idea why it works today but not
yesterday, so I'm just hoping it will still work tomorrow. Thanks for
the tip.

>> Further, if anyone IS using suse 10 and has successfully configured an
>> nvidia video card, I'd love to hear how you did it. Mine is a geforce
>> mx420. Currently, clicking on videocard/monitor thing in yast and
>> "sax2 -m 0=nvidia" give me a totally black screen that requires the
>> box's reset button to get beyond. I did the online update at the end
>> of the installation that was supposed to install the nvidia driver,
>> which is the recommended method, but clearly something is not working.
>

> i don't have anything with this video card, sorry. but i can say that
> sax2 has always worked for me. try running online_update again to get
> the latest patches.

There don't seem to be any nvidia patches at the moment.
Nor do I really know how to get yast to reinstall it, or if it even can.
Searching in yast shows nothing for nvidia driver, nvidia search shows
nvtv and glx extensions already installed.

>is this a dual head video card?

no, one port, PCI card attached to dell 17-inch CRT monitor.

>anything in the logs?

theXorg.0.log shows this:

(II) LoadModule: "glx"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so
(II) Module glx: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
	Module class: XFree86 Server Extension
	ABI class: XFree86 Server Extension, version 0.1
(II) Loading extension GLX

but then later goes on to add:

(EE) Failed to initialize GLX extension (NVIDIA X driver not found)

However, in Xorg.1.log, I see:

(II) NV: driver for NVIDIA chipsets: RIVA 128, RIVA TNT, RIVA TNT2,
	Unknown TNT2, Vanta, RIVA TNT2 Ultra, RIVA TNT2 Model 64,
	Aladdin TNT2, GeForce 256, GeForce DDR, Quadro, GeForce2 MX/MX 400,
	GeForce2 MX 100/200, GeForce2 Go, Quadro2 MXR/EX/Go,
	GeForce2 Integrated GPU, GeForce2 GTS, GeForce2 Ti, GeForce2 Ultra,
	Quadro2 Pro, GeForce4 MX 460, GeForce4 MX 440, GeForce4 MX 420
	(mine),...quite a few others
       ...GeForce Go 6200, GeForce Go 6400, GeForce 6250, 0x016B, 0x016C,
	0x016D, 0x016E, 0x0210, GeForce 6800, GeForce 6800 LE,
	GeForce 6800 GT, 0x0220, GeForce 6200, 0x0222, 0x0228, 0x0090,
	GeForce 7800 GTX, GeForce 7800 GT, 0x0093, 0x0094, 0x0098,
	GeForce Go 7800 GTX, 0x009C, Quadro FX 4500, 0x009E

The nvidia-installer.log has this to say at the end:

-> Installation of the NVIDIA Accelerated Graphics Driver for Linux-x86
    (version: 1.0-7676) is now complete.  On SuSE Linux/United Linux
please use
    SaX2 now to enable the NVIDIA driver.

However, just now (AFTER saving this draft), I ran sax2 once again
(without "-m 0=nvidia") and was instantly in a black screen until the
computer rebooted while I waited to see if sax2 would start. Sax2 has
always worked for me also, in the past.

The SaX.log says this:

LOG DATE     : Tue Mar 28 22:21:11 EST 2006
*************/
============================
Framebuffer Info:
----------------------------

mode "1280x1024-77"
     # D: 131.096 MHz, H: 80.328 kHz, V: 76.649 Hz
     geometry 1280 1024 1280 1024 16
     timings 7628 160 32 16 4 160 4
     rgba 5/11,6/5,5/0,0/0
endmode

Frame buffer device information:
     Name        : VESA VGA
     Address     : 0xd0000000
     Size        : 10485760
     Type        : PACKED PIXELS
     Visual      : TRUECOLOR
     XPanStep    : 0
     YPanStep    : 0
     YWrapStep   : 0
     LineLength  : 2560
     Accelerator : No

then goes thorugh mouse and keyboard detection, and then nothing, which
presumably accounts for the black screen, I'm thinking.

When I installed the latest driver from nvidia's site (Version:
1.0-8178), the screen went into 600x800 or an even fatter resolution
that I could not escape from through various hackings on xorg.conf, so
I'm a bit reluctant to try just installing it again right away. I have
an old driver (Version: 1.0-6111), that worked perfectly on the suse 8.2
that I had on here before, but since there's a whole kernel module
creation part to the driver installation, I'm a bit nervous about using
the old driver with this newer kernel. Should I be? Or should I just
install the old driver since it worked before?

Thanks,
S.