[nflug] Return to ssh/cygwin/remote X question +suse10 and nvidia

Stephen Burke qfwfq at adelphia.net
Mon Mar 27 16:05:11 EST 2006

Cyber Source wrote:

>> In case you don't know, to pass X over the newer ssh, you need to give
>> it the -X option.
>>
> I don't remember when we saw the need for that option come in but if you
> updated your ssh for FC3, you might see it. Don't know about windows or
> cygwin but I would imagine whether it's ssh or openssh (whatever windows
> uses) and they are updated, you might see the need for that option.

After a bit research, I now see what you are talking about. Apparently
the old method (which I had been using), using xhost+, ssh, and
DISPLAY=<this machine's IP>:0, export DISPLAY, is horribly insecure, so
now ssh -X is supposed to fix that. Thanks for the tip.

Oddly enough, the hard drive that I just switched from suse 8.2 to 10
won't work either way. the export DISPLAY maneuver gives me nothing but
a "mozilla xremote" process listing and no X here (I'm shooting for
mozilla-mail, remember), and the ssh -X method opens my LOCAL mozilla,
while sshed into the remote machine, which I can't figure out at all.

Is suse doing something diferent with this days these days? Does anyone
even USE suse anymore? I can't seem to find anything out there except
various explantions of the above.

Further, if anyone IS using suse 10 and has successfully configured an
nvidia video card, I'd love to hear how you did it. Mine is a geforce
mx420. Currently, clicking on videocard/monitor thing in yast and "sax2
-m 0=nvidia" give me a totally black screen that requires the box's
reset button to get beyond. I did the online update at the end of the
installation that was supposed to install the nvidia driver, which is
the recommended method, but clearly something is not working.

At this point, I am debating whether or not to attempt installing the
old nvidia driver that worked beatifully on 8.2, because installing the
NEW nvidia driver from their site has already pooched one attempt at
getting this particular system going, and other factors have caused
there to be quite a few already (back to reformatting, etc), but I'm
questioning what the old driver is going to do with the new kernel, and
I don't want to start over again since I finally (except for the nvidia
thing [which kills any 3D action as well as making enlightenment (my
favorite wm) look like crap and not quite work]) have suse 10 working
the way I want it to.

Advice is always welcome.
Thanks,
S.