[nflug] driver question

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Thu Mar 23 07:49:00 EST 2006

<-Sorry to rant but just frustrated trying to make
points to people who dont understand at work...->

I think probably every person on this list has dealt with that from time to time. Here are some of the steps that I took to get Linux in the door and to have it now accepted with enthusiasm.

1. Started out by getting Linux to do something so they could have 1 source of a secure process. This could be a firewall, file server, virus scanner, email server (either public or in house), backup server, web server (either internet or intranet), etc..

I started out doing an email/file server for a company that took the chance on my insistence that they would start to enjoy the stability of Linux if they see it in action and after 2 years of running smoothly they started to take notice. Now with the help of VMware, I have turned almost all there workstations into Linux running Gnome. Installed VMware for there windows only software and they are really starting to enjoy the open source world, Open Office, and Firefox, Thunderbird, Adobe in Linux and are giving the other apps a chance now. I've also got most of the employees to have Linux at home and then when they come to work they are used to it, etc..

So my suggestion would be to start small, Linux can speak for itself. Here is the first question that they posed to me when I suggested the Linux email/file server and my answer....

Q. But if you put a Linux server in, nobody will be able to work on it because they only know windows.
A. GOOD!

p.s. This company used to have a habit of letting ANYONE in the company sit down and start pokin and clickin on there NT server running exchange, etc.. I would regularly go there on almost a daily basis to put out fires prior to installing Linux AND having them doing sane IT practices like NOBODY can get into the server, etc..
p.s.s. For those guys out there that think they shoot themselves in the foot by putting in a system that does not require extinguishers on a daily basis, wrong. There is plenty of work to then move forward with things and it's much better to do that then have windows make you look like a fool, which I am sure Anthony feels on a daily basis as well as all of us at one time or another.

We haven't had 2 cents pitched in for a while so here's mine...