[nflug] driver question

joshj at linuxmail.org joshj at linuxmail.org
Wed Mar 22 13:00:35 EST 2006

Thus spake anthonyriga on Wed, 22 Mar 2006

> How does linux load drivers on pcs for example the
> sound drivers and reconizes them automatically and XP
> Windows does not load the drivers at all causing the
> user to find them. Are the drivers loaded in the linux
> kernel? Im trying to explain this to a windows guy. He
> says that since the soundcard was new on a new pc it
> wouldnt be on the cd. I tested the pc using Knoppix
> 3.8 CD and it picked up the souncard fine using AC97
> realtek driver. He is pure wondows fanboy. Any good
> explanations?

This is a good one. I'd like to know the answer to this. I take it for
granted now that when I need to find out if something works I just pop
in Knoppix or SysRescCD. I think it is part of the startup scripts.
Because on my Gentoo box I have to make sure that all modules are
explicitly loaded if I want something to work. eg soundcard. It probably
checks /proc/pci or runs an lspci and compares the output against a DB
file of somekind for known drivers. I'm not 100% sure though. Just kind
of guessing.

-Josh