[nflug] Mame Distribution

Mark Musone mmusone at shatterit.com
Thu Jun 8 13:57:28 EDT 2006

Hi All,

Quick question, so I'm finishing putting together a MAME cabinet and it's
currently running slackware (yea, I'm a slackhead). Anyways, I'm having some
weird problems with the machine freezing and it seems to be related to audio
or framebuffer..stuff that slackware generally is a bit behind as far as
desktop capability. So instead of trying to track down the problem, I'm
thinking of going to a different distribution which most likely has much
better desktop support. Given that I'm looking for some suggestions on a
decent distribution. I don't want to start a distro war, just looking for
about 4 of the better options - specifically for MAME use that I'll try and
see which works better. As most of you know, I'm a server guy not a desktop
guy when it comes to linux (and kinda old-school), so any suggestions would
be greatly appreciated!

Some of my current thoughts on possible options are:

Knoppix - sounds like it's good, but I'm afraid how supported it is in a
hard drive-installed situation versus a live bootcd

Fedora -- *shrug* is it still alive and recent??

Ubuntu - I heard a lot about it lately, but don't know a thing specific.
Don't know if it's just an unstable hacker toy or actually useful

Suse -- *shrug* do I need to speak german to use it?

Gentoo -- *shrug*

Thanks,

Mark