[nflug] mail script

Sam Stern samstern at samstern.net
Mon Jul 10 14:05:15 EDT 2006

Hi Eric,

It's a little unclear to me what mail system you are running. It sounds like
sendmail using mboxs? For a quick solution to this problem, I would
recommend making a system alias, rather than mail box to get all the mail.
As an example here is a naive little set of aliases for you:

mail> vi /etc/mail/aliases

finance: joe, helen,anne
it: erin, kim, alex
sales: keith, eric
memo: finance, it, sales

mail> newalias

this method will "reflect" through the aliases and get everyone their own
copy of the memo. I should note that this solution (like your current
solution) is not scalable and tends to start to become QUITE a hassle after
30 or so users get added. These two solutions will quickly enter into the
"nightmare" category around 100 users.

What distribution are you using? I would recommend that install the mailing
list manager that is part of your distribution (usually Mailman or
Majordomo) and move the whole memo thing to a moderated mailing list. Then,
with you as the moderator, you can mange users and document retention more
effectively and more predictably.

Good luck!

Sam Stern
Grand Island, New York, USA