[nflug] usb logitech mouse as secondary...

joshj at linuxmail.org joshj at linuxmail.org
Thu Feb 2 16:19:52 EST 2006

> --- Josh Johnson <joshj at linuxmail.org> wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to get linux setup on my buddies laptop. Everything is
>> working out pretty well except his usb (logitech laser) mouse. The
>> touch-pad works fine. But he often uses his external mouse because
>> its easier. I found it as /dev/input/mouse1 . At first I had just the
>> touchpad setup as /dev/psaux in xorg.conf. It worked fine but when
>> you used the usb mouse the cursor would go crazy. Now having each
>> setup as mouse[0,1] the usb mouse does nothing. Anyone know of any
>> little tricks I might need to know?
>>
>> Notes:
>> cat /dev/input/mouse0 # touchpad actions cause output
>> cat /dev/input/mouse1 # usb mouse actions cause output.
>

> Section "InputDevice"
>   Identifier  "PS2Mouse"
>   Driver      "mouse"
>   Option      "Protocol"              "PS/2"
>   Option      "Device"                "/dev/input/mouse0"
>   Option      "ZAxisMapping"          "4 5"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>   Identifier  "USBMouse"
>   Driver      "mouse"
>   Option      "Protocol"              "IMPS/2"
>   Option      "Device"                "/dev/input/mouse1"
>   Option      "ZAxisMapping"          "4 5"
> EndSection
>
> Section "ServerLayout"
>   InputDevice "PS2Mouse"      "CorePointer"
>   InputDevice "USBMouse"      "SendCoreEvents"
> EndSection
>

> Edit to taste...
> The important parts are at the end.  The "CorePointer" is the "main"
> mouse, (should be the onboard touchpad), and the external one is called
> the USBMouse and it'll send it's events to the core pointer source,  so
> they'll both work simultaneously.  if you don't have the external
> plugged in the one built into the laptop should work fine.
>

> Dave J. Andruczyk

I got this working finally. The problem was I forgot the "OHCI" thingy
in the usb section of the kernel. oddly enough I, after much
documentation searching, I ddidn't set up the ServerLayout section the
way you did. Which is what I thought I'd have to do. Some how it
magically works. I don't even think that the second mouse is defined.
there is one generic definition for /dev/psaux which seems to be related
to both the touchpad and the usb mouse. My other problem was I didn't
have the synaptic driver installed so that the touchpad would do it cool
stuff. but its all good now.

-Josh