[nflug] edubuntu

David J. Andruczyk djandruczyk at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 15 08:31:22 EST 2006

--- eric <eric at bootz.us> wrote:

> Hi just installed edubuntu 10, nice install, and am just trying to
> integrate them into my network.
> What I would like to do:
> 1. is have the computers on all the time turning off and on at
> certain
> times of the week.

Turning off can be done via cron, turning on requires bios support
(most bios's can do this)

> 2. if the computer gets turned off completely (power failure) anyone
> can
> turn the computer on and it will go directly to the desktop a sort of
> password less logon.

It's possible to do autologon,  though highly not recommended to have
that. (how would a teacher logon in that case?).  Better to just a
passwordless minimalistic account (with limited ability to write to his
own files in his homedir to prevent users from changing default
settings).

> 3. if all of the above works out then I also want samba shares that
> students log into to timeout after an hour if there is no usage.
> If anyone can point me in the right directin that would be very cool,

Have the clients mount the samba shares with an automounter (Autofs),
have the samba server setup with the "deadtime" option per share to
cause it to close the connection when there is no activity after a
period of time.

-- David J. Andruczyk