[nflug] more fun with apt

Boice evrgreen at netsync.net
Wed Dec 13 13:03:01 EST 2006

Stephen Burke wrote:
> Thanks.
> Actually, I guess the source installation worked better than I thought
> after all, here on edgy.
>
> Strangely, though, it doesn't want to start if I choose it from the
> session menu - the complaint I didn't read clearly enough before I
> guess. The only way to start it at this point is to starta failsafe
> terminal and use "enlightenment_start". I would imagine there must be
> some work around for that, but right now I'm just psyched to have
> gotten it going at all. I wonder if REgetting it from the repos might
> make it start up better?
>
> Still no mepis here yet, however. The dvd torrent is taking forever
> and the cd install failed just after starting to prepare the disks
> when I tried to put it where elive had been. At the moment, I'm
> putting BLAG50k (fc5) there which has e17 in the repos, but is giving
> me a big hassle getting X going for a regular user. Looks ugly enough
> at the moment to merit a whole new thread if I can't sort it out.
> Fortunately X still works for root, but it's (ouch!) gnome. Looking to
> put mepis where another edgy install is giving me a hassle about
> running a bzflag server properly (where it was very easy on an earlier
> dapper install). Hoping mepis isn't quite so tempermental.
>
> I had to do a text install for blag50k because there wasn't enough
> memory on that machine for the graphical installer to run -which could
> be why mepis failed, I'm guessing - but root is showing me that X is
> definitely there and working, just need to find a way to spread the
> goodliness.
>
> Thw fun never stops.
>
> Thanks,
> S.

Good. I was a bit surprised to hear it hadn't. Edgy really isn't all
that unstable or unpredictable. Better than Dapper when it first came
out, IMHO.

I am surprised to head about the Mepis CD install failure. When ever
I've put it into pre-set partitions I've never had any problems. I
usually create one partition for root, one for /home and one linux-swap,
_prior_ to starting the installation.  One time I also did a separate
/boot partition as well, and Mepis got along fine with that arrangement,
too.

I've tried installing BLAG twice --um, last winter probably-- and could
never get it to complete the install. Maybe the latest version is better.

RE: the e17 scene.   Have you tried Beryl as an alternative?

I've hear talk around the water cooler that Beryl blows  enlightenment
away.  Not yet tried it, but I think  the memory requirements are e16:
not so much, e17: +25%  Beryl : e16 x2. But that's guesstimating based
on hearsay.

BTW, here's another site with repos of all kinds of rpms & debs,
including e17 for ubuntu:
http://seerofsouls.com/

I don't remember if you gave the hardware specs of the machine you're
doing these installs on.  Puppy Linux might be worth trying out, if it's
really a dog.   [Pun intended, but point is valid, too. I've never tried
doing this, but I'd almost believe Puppy would run on a hand-cranked
adding machine!]

Last item: if you have an open RAM slot,  stick in a stick. If you
happen to use PC100  SDRAM  I have a couple 128MB  sticks left over
from  upgrade/rebuild jobs I could sell you for $10 apiece. Not a heck
of an upgrade, but  it can made a diff on an old clunker that only has
128 installed.

-Honest John
"Used parts, worn-out punchlines. . . Computers and reputations rebuilt
to order. Cash up front. Discounts for payment made in gold mint coinage
or pre-1964 US silver coins. All work guaranteed until my passport
application gets processed."