[nflug] more fun with apt

Stephen Burke qfwfq at adelphia.net
Wed Dec 13 00:25:01 EST 2006

Boice wrote:

> As of this AM I see another poster chimed in: he used a deb repo to
> install e17 located here:
> deb http://edevelop.org/pkg-e/ubuntu dapper e17
> Check the previously linked thread for details.
>
> Mind you, this is on Mepis 6, which is geared to using Dapper repos. I
> don't know how it would work if you're running Edgy.
>
> More grist for the mill, Bill. And the road thataway lies all uphill. . .
>
> But ain't we got fun?
>
> --JGB

Thanks.
Actually, I guess the source installation worked better than I thought
after all, here on edgy.

Strangely, though, it doesn't want to start if I choose it from the
session menu - the complaint I didn't read clearly enough before I
guess. The only way to start it at this point is to starta failsafe
terminal and use "enlightenment_start". I would imagine there must be
some work around for that, but right now I'm just psyched to have gotten
it going at all. I wonder if REgetting it from the repos might make it
start up better?

Still no mepis here yet, however. The dvd torrent is taking forever and
the cd install failed just after starting to prepare the disks when I
tried to put it where elive had been. At the moment, I'm putting BLAG50k
(fc5) there which has e17 in the repos, but is giving me a big hassle
getting X going for a regular user. Looks ugly enough at the moment to
merit a whole new thread if I can't sort it out. Fortunately X still
works for root, but it's (ouch!) gnome. Looking to put mepis where
another edgy install is giving me a hassle about running a bzflag server
properly (where it was very easy on an earlier dapper install). Hoping
mepis isn't quite so tempermental.

I had to do a text install for blag50k because there wasn't enough
memory on that machine for the graphical installer to run -which could
be why mepis failed, I'm guessing - but root is showing me that X is
definitely there and working, just need to find a way to spread the
goodliness.

Thw fun never stops.

Thanks,
S.