[nflug] apt ineptitude

Stephen Burke qfwfq at adelphia.net
Fri Dec 8 18:34:06 EST 2006

Boice wrote:
> Stephen Burke wrote:
>
>>Ok, now the problem has been solved. Whether it was the hard way or
>>the easy way, I'm still not sure, since I was hoping to maybe learn a
>>thing or two about fonts. But, after messing around for a while and
>>not fixing anything, I thought maybe just another apt-get upgrade
>>would so the trick, and was further encouraged when I saw the font
>>stuff in here:
>>
>>The following packages will be upgraded:
>>  cdrdao dash debootstrap gconf2 gconf2-common gsfonts-x11 iptables
>>  liba52-0.7.4 libgconf2-4 libglib2.0-0 libindex0 libmimelib1c2a
>>  libpango1.0-common msttcorefonts tar xfonts-100dpi-transcoded
>>  xfonts-scalable xfonts-terminus xfs xnest xprint xvfb
>>
>>All seemed to go well, but to test things further I decided to reboot
>>and have somehow now completely lost X. It will still boot in recovery
>>mode, but since the fonts were still pooched before, a whole X
>>wrestling match seems futile. I suspect that has something to do with
>>failing X, actually.
>>
>>I was truly enjoying the *working* e17, but now I guess it's time to
>>taste a new nix flavor over there. Naturally, I had just finished
>>configuring it just to my liking before this fiasco started.
>>
>>Thanks for the tips and commands along the way,
>>S.
>>

> Steve,
>
> Sorry to hear that your struggles ended without a victory.  If it's any
> consolation, I've heard a number of people who like the enlightenment
> window manager BUT hate the eLive distro. I tried it once about 4-5
> months ago and it was as buggy as backwoods Maine in May.
>
> If you love e17, and you're not totally burned out from this experience,
> you could always try a rock-solid distro like Mepis:
> http://www.mepis.org/node/1462
>
> and then compile a new e17 wm from the latest sources to work with it:
> http://enlightenment.freedesktop.org/
>
> BTW, I'm great a making suggestions for other people's situations. In
> the meantime, I'm trying to make a backup copy of my Chris Isaak
> Christmas CD for my wife to play in the car --and my  K3B doesn't want
> to rip/copy anymore!
> ???
> "Life: it's just one thing after another. . ."
>
> --John

Good of you to chime in, John. I never really thought about mepis
before, but I'm grabbing the dvd torrent now. Always psyched to taste a
new flavor - love 'em all ;-)

I'm also downloading Elive_Revolution (latest), too, if only because I
just like the idea of any OS that defaults to enlightenment and not
gnome or kde. Hoping 0.5 is less buggy than 0.4.2 (and Maine).

Speaking of e, that freedesktop.org page is actually exactly what I have
been looking for and not finding. Somehow, I've gotten e17 going in
suse10.1 and blag50k by hitting the right repositories for yast and
synaptic, but I can never seem to repeat the process anywhere else. A
place to grab sources is crucial.

I had actually been debating whether to even write that email or just
stfu and not admit to any more stupidity, but now I'm glad I did. You
never know what tasty data going to sift out through the problem.

Thanks again,
S.