[nflug] apt ineptitude

Boice evrgreen at netsync.net
Fri Dec 8 11:30:38 EST 2006

Stephen Burke wrote:
> Ok, now the problem has been solved. Whether it was the hard way or
> the easy way, I'm still not sure, since I was hoping to maybe learn a
> thing or two about fonts. But, after messing around for a while and
> not fixing anything, I thought maybe just another apt-get upgrade
> would so the trick, and was further encouraged when I saw the font
> stuff in here:

>   cdrdao dash debootstrap gconf2 gconf2-common gsfonts-x11 iptables
>   liba52-0.7.4 libgconf2-4 libglib2.0-0 libindex0 libmimelib1c2a
>   libpango1.0-common msttcorefonts tar xfonts-100dpi-transcoded
>   xfonts-scalable xfonts-terminus xfs xnest xprint xvfb
>
> All seemed to go well, but to test things further I decided to reboot
> and have somehow now completely lost X. It will still boot in recovery
> mode, but since the fonts were still pooched before, a whole X
> wrestling match seems futile. I suspect that has something to do with
> failing X, actually.
>
> I was truly enjoying the *working* e17, but now I guess it's time to
> taste a new nix flavor over there. Naturally, I had just finished
> configuring it just to my liking before this fiasco started.
>
> Thanks for the tips and commands along the way,
> S.

Steve,

Sorry to hear that your struggles ended without a victory.  If it's any
consolation, I've heard a number of people who like the enlightenment
window manager BUT hate the eLive distro. I tried it once about 4-5
months ago and it was as buggy as backwoods Maine in May.

If you love e17, and you're not totally burned out from this experience,
you could always try a rock-solid distro like Mepis:
http://www.mepis.org/node/1462

and then compile a new e17 wm from the latest sources to work with it:
http://enlightenment.freedesktop.org/

BTW, I'm great a making suggestions for other people's situations. In
the meantime, I'm trying to make a backup copy of my Chris Isaak
Christmas CD for my wife to play in the car --and my  K3B doesn't want
to rip/copy anymore!
???
"Life: it's just one thing after another. . ."

--John