[nflug] DSL

John Nichel john at kegworks.com
Thu Apr 20 15:44:36 EDT 2006

Joe wrote:
> I got DSL and VoIP working for my partner in Windoze.  There were some
> pretty big bumps, but it's all smooth now.
>
> Now, I want to do it for my desktop running Mandrake 9.1.  (I'd wait to
> get a new system, but other people in the house need the phone when I'm
> online.)
>
> I have two ethernet cards in the box that both seem to work, but I never
> used them much under Windows  and not at all under Linux.  One is a 3Com
> PCI 3c900 that Linux seems to like.  The other is a Network Anywhere
> card (700?) that doesn't seem to show up in dmesg.
>
> I don't really know much about configuring firewalls or ethernet.
>
>  From configuring the Verizon DSL for my partner, I know the modem lives
> at 192.168.1.1 (and uses a few others in the 192.168.1.x range).  It has
> an html user interface.  Verizon does _not_ use PPPoE.  I believe it
> needs DHCP instead.
>
> Is this going to be a big deal to figure out or is it fairly simple?
>
> Is there a *really* *simple* howto I can read?
>
> I don't want to do any server stuff at all with the possible exception
> of using a bit torrent client and that's nice, but not necessary. I just
> want to get the connection working for Internet access and email and be
> sure that I'm reasonably well protected against attacks.  As it stands
> now, I've never had a security problem with the default configurations
> using dial up.
>
> TIA
>
> Joe
>
> dmesg segment about the 3com card
>
> Linux Tulip driver version 0.9.15-pre12 (Aug 9, 2002)
> PCI: Found IRQ 9 for device 00:0e.0
> eth0: ADMtek Comet rev 17 at 0xf800, 00:20:78:05:A4:F4, IRQ 9.
> PCI: Found IRQ 9 for device 00:0f.0
> 3c59x: Donald Becker and others. www.scyld.com/network/vortex.html
> See Documentation/networking/vortex.txt
> 00:0f.0: 3Com PCI 3c900 Boomerang 10baseT at 0xfc40. Vers LK1.1.18-ac
> 00:60:08:aa:0a:94, IRQ 9
>  product code 4b46 rev 00.0 date 10-26-97
>  Internal config register is 302d8, transceivers 0xe108.
>  8K word-wide RAM 3:5 Rx:Tx split, 10baseT interface.
>  Enabling bus-master transmits and whole-frame receives.
> 00:0f.0: scatter/gather enabled. h/w checksums disabled
>
> I looked in /dev and don't see anything like eth0, etc. so I may need to
> load one or more modules.

I've never had much luck with 3Com and Linux (specifically their 509's).
  The Netgear FA/311's have worked flawlessly for me though.

Are you wanting to set up the Linux box to do routing, or just want to
get it online?  If it's the later and the Verizon modem is a Westel,
just set your network connection on the Linux box for DHCP (the Westel
/should/ handle it).  By default my Westel has most ports blocked, but
you can do forwarding (NAT) via the web interface for the modem.  You
won't need to do anything like that for surfing the web or checking
email though (you'll have to do it for Bittorrent).  Depending on the
security settings on your Linux box, you may have to open the port in
that firewall (in /etc/sysconfig/iptables (if this is where it's located
on your box) or via the GUI).

--
John C. Nichel IV
Programmer/System Admin (ÜberGeek)